Nootropics. You’ve probably heard a lot about these seemingly magical “smart drugs” and the effect they have on mental performance. But like many, you may also be wondering, “do nootropics really do all they’re said to do?”
If this is you, we’re here to help. Nootropics have become one of the hottest topics in wellness circles and are a preferred option for people who wish to get more out of life. But a downside to their popularity is there’s a lot that can get muddled in the conversation.
That’s why, in this article, we’ll answer all your questions about nootropics, including what they are, how they work and why they should form a part of your daily wellness routine.
What are nootropics?
Nootropics are dietary supplements that support cognitive function. Although this sounds simple, it is anything but.
One of the earliest people to truly study nootropics was Romanian chemist, Cornelius Giurgea. He coined the term “nootropic” and described them as molecules that:
"Enhancement of learning acquisition" – Increase brain learning and memory"
Resistance to impairing agents" – Support healthy brain function"
Facilitation of inter hemispheric transfer of information" – Improve brain processing power"
Enhanced resistance to brain 'aggressions'" – Act as a barrier for brain health"
Increased tonic, cortico-subcortical 'control'" – Increase brain focus and attention"
Absence of usual pharmacological effects of neuro psychotropic drugs" – Safe for use
Strictly speaking, and going solely by Giurgea’s definition, there are only a handful of true nootropics. But as we learn more about how the brain works, and discover more brain-boosting supplements, our understanding of nootropics has increased.
Today, nootropics are considered to include many supplements that are linked to brain health. As a result, nootropics are understood to be supplements or molecules that have a beneficial effect on the brain.
Why should you take nootropics?
Depending on their cognitive needs, people rely on nootropics for various reasons. Some are interested in being able to improve their focus, mental alertness and brain energy for work at the office. While others are looking for ways to add the cognition-enhancing effects of nootropics to their vigorous daily lives.
But whether they are needed for work or play, nootropics are becoming a part of people’s daily lives for all the right reasons. Here are some you may be interested in:
- Nootropics can support healthy stress levels: Leading a busy, successful life can be fulfilling. But it can also be very stressful, leading to mental fatigue and diminished productivity. To boost their daily output, many people rely on nootropics to encourage continued mental freshness and active thinking under stress.
- Nootropics can increase mental alertness and attention: Nootropic supplements such as Citicholine have been shown to improve attentional performance. They may help boost mental alertness and induce a state of relaxed but sharp attention.
- Nootropics can help you sleep better: After a long day of hitting goals, some people may find it hard to relax and let the tension seep out. Avantera Unwind is specially formulated with nootropic combinations that have a gentle relaxant effect. This encourages restful sleep but lets you wake up feeling well-rested, mentally alert and ready to go.
- Nootropics can boost creativity: Although they do not directly affect creativity, nootropics target all the crucial indicators that encourage creative thinking such as mood, focus and relaxation. Through nootropic supplements such as L-Theanine, Avantera Elevate induces an energized mindset that supports cognitive exploration. Read more about the amazing combination of Caffeine and L-Theanine here.
- Nootropics can support memory: Finally, one of the most common reasons why people use nootropics is for their memory-enhancing effects. They especially assist the maintenance and repair of brain cells, sharpen the sensitivity of neurons and encourage overall brain plasticity – all of which aid memory formation and retrieval. Read more on Bacopa here to learn why it is one of the ingredients in Elevate.
So, if you are interested in enjoying all these benefits and adding them to your daily life, it might be worth your while to consider nootropics. But there’s another question you may be thinking about…
Are all nootropic supplements safe?
Nootropics are generally regarded as safe, depending on how they are sourced, the dosage and their quality. For instance, nootropics that are sourced from natural, wholesome ingredients are usually of high quality and are very beneficial.
But some nootropics are synthetic, or sourced from low quality ingredients – both of which can make them less safe.
In addition, certain nootropics can have side effects such as headache, jitters or diarrhea when taking at high dosages or because they include low quality or unnecessary ingredients.
This is why it is important to pay careful attention to how you pick your nootropic brand. The type of ingredients used, how the nootropics are sourced and the scientific process of how the stacks are combined are things to watch out for.
Therefore, by relying on a trustworthy brand for your nootropic needs, you can ensure you have access to all the benefits of nootropics in a safe and effective product.